Sunday 17 August 2014

>>Scionia: More Sneak Peeks Chapter 2

I thought it be nice to release a couple more sneak peeks from Scionia - Chapter 2, as it has been a while since the project was going full speed. Of course the first (colour) is actually edited to humour the thought of Chapter 2 being so slow to the point that even the characters are bored of being drawn, but hey that is usually the deal with personal projects without a budget so no reason to beat myself over it, yet.






With the second one I had too much fun drawing it to not want to share. Mostly because I finally got to the point of drawing a highly detailed close-up action shot which is a first for Scionia.

Figuring out the style of my art was the least of my worries, since I have been drawing now for almost 25 years (even though it was on and off at times, with the longest break ever being at 3 years I think?), however in all this time the only comics I ever drew were at the age of 12. An experience which did give me something to learn I guess, but not more than really vague basics, some of which I found out were wrong when starting out Scionia.

The biggest obstacle was elsewhere, it was in the actual character poses themselves. Most of my art I consider to be of a poster-like fashion in terms of layout, character poses, etc. And although I always experimented on new angles and poses as much as I could, nothing could prepare me for the needs that a comic actually has.

The next thing I needed and am still figuring out as I go (I think I got most of it down, but since I always discover something new I am guessing there are still more to come) is page layouts and deciding the right amount of detail to be used and when. This makes the artworks more free once balanced, and gives for quicker results ultimately, whilst I try to steer clear of the initial notion that comics need little detail.

I say, comics have mixed detail and the artist should put as much as they want, need or should depending on shot sizes and also depending on what the shot actually depicts and what it is for. That approach frees the mind and lets you work more fluently and ultimately faster. I know I spent a lot more time in some Chapter 1 shots simply because I was forcing myself to stay true to a certain range of guidelines that I had either put there myself, or other comic artists had without knowing it from conversations they had with me on such details.

Now I simply say, f**k it! Just do what comes natural. Having a learning curve of things to keep in mind and things to do in a comic is essential, but beating yourself over it and trying to be 100% spot on with those is criminal to one's own creativity. Among most of these one very annoying restriction is the idea of consistency.

Yes, the comic will have a gradual change in terms of art and layout. Something which I do not aim to avoid. On the contrary, I believe it gives it more character, just like the comics that have been going on for decades evolving through time. With Scionia, you see the evolution in one project yet with enough consistency I would like to believe that will make it all work. At least that is what it looks like so far.

And since the first person I am trying to please is really happy with it all so far (the observer in my head) then I can feel free and confident enough to keep moving forward in this very same way, at whichever pace allowed to me by time and resources.

The next couple shots are older sneak peeks from Chapter 2, however now they are of already released pages in the story:





No jinxing allowed (last thing I need is another creative "artists" block) but I am really enjoying this chapter... I wonder how much I will enjoy the next chapter, which is by far a much more action oriented one than the first 2... I am hoping a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...