Monday 6 July 2015

TERMINATOR GENISYS - Short Spoiler Free Review

The Critics and the Spoiler-Trailer


Pay no attention to the lame critics people. They probably are still whining over the fact that the trailer spoiled the main plot-twist in the film. Which by the way I had spoiled as well and still loved every second of this film. It should not in any way affect the score of this film which is really right up there and worthy of a true reboot as well as a successor to the Terminator Saga.

It does not undo the old classics, since this timeline is existent only because of the classics. Hence it is a continuation, and a "reset".


The Review

On my first viewing, I loved it enough to want to give it a 9/10. Then I thought well it has some drawbacks and some plot-holes, and thus should objectively belong at 8/10.

However, as far as subjective taste goes, I still think it is a 9/10 and would so watch this film again and again!!!

On second viewing, I realised that what I implied as a convenient plot-hole, is perhaps a plot-point on its own that they are building up to for the next films. A mystery to solve. And that thought makes this film even more fun to watch! I simply love it.

I wanted the ending to be a little darker, however with light of the chance of 2 more films coming out to complete the trilogy, I am happy with this ending as well.

It was a little PG heavy, and it could have been a little longer to add in there some lore elements and some slow-paced horror like the originals. However, even without those the pace is great. So great in fact I found I was fixed to the film all the way through on both viewings. Which is awesome! No bore, and no characters that I didn't want to see. It feels as though it really just kept the important things.



Fan service is also there. Recreated scenes from the original Terminator. The war in the future. All perfect. Then it follows a classic time-twisting element of the Terminator saga to become also relevant to our own time, leaving the plot at a point that also should fit in with regards to dates to the next film to be made. Hence it is all lined up perfectly.

I can't wait to see the next ones and I am so watching this again and again and again. I simply loved it

The naysayers are either too ignorant to understand half the plot or are wearing nostalgia goggles at which point only a screening of the original Terminator would please them. Their views on all things Terminator are completely unfair, proving also that they are NOT fans of the franchise, but fans of the old film because hey, childhood.

Anyway, check it out.

I would even go as far as saying that it is almost as good as Terminator 2. I liked it more than Terminator 1, for sure, and that in itself is a HUGE surprise. But to also like it nearly as much as T2? Well that was completely out of the question and yet it happened.

Definitely more fun to watch than Terminator 2 though overall, yet it lacked in some other ways when compared. Even with some drawbacks it is a film that second and third viewings keep adding to it. For me, this is a new timeless classic and a perfect addition to the Terminator franchise. It doesn't undo the old films either. Since this timeline exists because of the previous ones.

For some this is the true T3. For me it is not. T3 was T3. This here was an awesome reboot that I simply loved which "resets the future"! For me, this will be a new classic.

The cast was also simply great. The new Kyle Reese is no-where near as good a portrayal as the classic, but who can ever live up to Michael Biehn. Whilst Emilia Clarke was a stunning Sarah Connor (albeit a little short... even though Sarah was never really tall, she simply wasn't as short when compared to Kyle) and John Connor fit in just great as well. They even made the exact same markings on his face as seen in the originals.

Arnie? Well, whats to say. He is the Terminator. Just throw him in there and job well done. Add a script that threw back to the classics with some "Terminator Comedy" and he was a real pleasure to watch. Definitely one of the best come-backs to Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was by far the most important thing to get right in this film, and by far the best element of it.

Bring the sequels on I say. A new trilogy is born ladies and gentlemen. The Terminator is BACK in a time-twisting bang!

Hands down, a deserved 9/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...